Sunday, August 10, 2008

To Live Local - The Green Report

Once a week I’ll be posting articles about ecological issues, new technologies, new green companies and interesting eco- happenings from the Golden State. I’ll offer up both news I’m proud of and activities that might make me wish my fellow Californians had cared a little more about the air, earth and water that we all share.

Here’s today's edition:

Pasadena is very into walkability, an issue near and dear to my feet. Old Town Pasadena has blocks of shops, condos, cafés – you don’t feel like you’re in LA at all. It’s almost Twilight Zone scary to walk from H&M to Forever 21 to lunch with my kids. Today LA Times ran an article about the city’s first “walkabout” in March, an event to compile ideas on making Pasadena safer for pedestrians. Check out “The goal: A foot-friendly city” written by Rong-Gong Lin II.

The New York Times Magazine has an article about water purification – indirect potable reuse – aka toilet to tap. “The Orange County Groundwater Replenishment System is the largest of its type in the world,” writes Elizabeth Royte, author of “Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It”. It's a great article that explains the process. Go OC!

My town has a community garden that is so successful, only 3 spots remain open to rent. Higher food prices are forcing many of us to pick up spade and rake. See the article in The Acorn, our weekly newspaper. “Oak Park garden an offshoot of escalating food prices” by Sophia Fischer. The entire garden is organic. It was an empty lot when we moved there and now I love to watch people climb the stairs to work on their patch of earth.

What's the Green News from your community?

No comments: