Will the Frat Boy never leave? And how much worse can he make things before he finally goes?
That’s what Mr. Local and I talk about constantly around the kitchen table. Bush and his buddies have done so much to ruin the country I love that I’m almost paralyzed by rage.
Almost but not quite …
Now he’s taking on the Endangered Species Act. Here are some highlights, rather lowlights, of the bill from the CNN article:
- Bush wants federal agencies to decide for themselves if projects harm wildlife
- Changes would "seriously weaken" habitat protections, says conservationist
- New rules end reviews that developers say increase many project cost
- Similar bill passed in the House in 2005 but died in the Senate
More points from the story:
- New regulations, which don't require the approval of Congress, would reduce the mandatory, independent reviews government scientists have been performing for 35 years, according to a draft first obtained by The Associated Press.
- The director of the Fish and Wildlife Service, H. Dale Hall said, "We will not do anything that leaves the public out of this process."
No requirement for Congressional approval versus we won’t leave the public out of the process.
What?!? Did I read that right?
Perhaps these people need to sit through the entire DVD series of “John Adams” to remind them about what we were fighting for back in 1776.
For those of you in California, a piece of good news is that Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California, is chairwoman of the Environment and Public Works Committee, and has called the proposed changes illegal. So please, fellow Californians, let her know your thoughts.
Just because Bush is touring the world, on our money, to wave good-bye, doesn’t mean his minions back home aren’t wreaking havoc with our children’s world.